Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

It's officially September... do you know where your ammo is? Yesterday marked the official start of the hunting season for pretty much all of North America. Dove season to me is a nice warm up. It's a social event as much as anything, and a chance to knock the rust off the guns. I read somewhere that the average hunter needed to expend three shells before downing one bird, which must make the ammo manufacturers really happy.

Three dove hunts stand out. The first was when I was probably my daughter's age, back at the old ammo plant outside of Grand Island. It was the first bird I ever shot, and it was a mix of elation, power, and sadness. I also remember my Dad suffering like hell through a ragweed attack.

The second hunt was one we did a few years ago with some buddies north of Manhattan. We took position around a burned wheat field. It was a great time... and the only time I can brag about taking my limit of 15 dove with one shell shy of a box (with my 28 gauge, no less). And yes, I have witnesses.

The final one was on the Nooner Ranch outside of Hondo, Texas. I never have and never will see more birds that my Dad and I saw that opening day. We shot our limit in 30 minutes or so... and that was with some pretty poor flock shooting, I suspect.

Anyhow, the season is here, and I plan on taking part very, very soon. And the opportunities only get more abundant from here. So if you see me with a little extra spring in my step, now you know why.

Be safe out there, everyone.

1 comment: