Monday, April 19, 2010

I Bought A Black Gun.

I've always considered myself more of a walnut and case-colored shotgunner, but over the weekend, I found myself in possession of a DPMS Panther Arms 5.56mm Oracle. The deal was hard to pass up -- $699 at Cabela's, and I had about $400 in Cabela's gift cards that made the effective price ridiculously cheap.

So now I own what's essentially the same gun as the standard-issue field weapon of the U.S. military. Most everyone that I've told thus far (mosty non-hunters or non-shooters) ask me what I'll do with it. A fair question, and one I expect I'll get from some hunting purists who disdain this sort of firearm for one reason or another. All I know is that my son and I are getting pretty excited to take it out and punch a few holes in some paper. Sure, a .22 is cheaper, but not nearly as effective against zombie attacks.



I've only dipped my big toe into the subculture of the AR-15, and while some seems a bit over the top, the boy and I are excited about doing a few mods and making the gun our own. Sort of a father-son soapbox racer project for the 2nd Amendment crowd. Stay tuned.

1 comment: