Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Montana 2010: LuLu's First Point

This video requires a bit of setup.  LuLu, my 8 1/2 month-old pointer pup had only brief wild bird contact prior to our trip to Montana.  Over the course of our two weeks in Big Sky Country, she started figuring it out.  She pointed several times, including one where the hun covey flushed wild, and another where she mistakenly crowded a flock of sharptail into flushing.

This time though, she put it all together.  We had just put her down and were gearing up two other dogs to run a nice-looking strip of sage along a wheat field.  Before I finished collaring Dottie, my Astro indicated that LuLu was on point.  Sure enough, 50 yards behind us, just above the bar ditch, she was rock solid, pointing into the field on the other side of the road we had planned on hunting.

The video picks up after we crossed that fence (Dottie is the first dog you see in the video).  LuLu is the second, to my left.  Please forgive the overenthusiastic whoops and hollers -- but I can assure you that they were borne of true excitement, not outdoor-TV-manufactured idiocy.  (Honest idiocy, if you will.)



Forget the double-double.  That little pup slamming on point is something I won't soon forget -- having it on video was icing on the cake.

1 comment:

  1. That's excellent! I'm going through the same series of firsts with my young pup. He makes me laugh more than anything. I'm taking him to SD for a week in early Nov. We'll have to see how that goes. Hopefully it will continue to feed a growing addiction. Man, it looks like you enjoyed a really cool trip!

    ReplyDelete