Monday, March 28, 2011

Shameless Brag: My Drop-Tined Buck

Here he is. And while I freely admit this post is unadulterated braggadocio, this magnificent buck is worth sharing. He proudly stands sentinel in my office, and I've had a number of positive remarks from co-workers, both hunters and non-hunters alike. I took him last fall down near Cuero, Texas.

He was mounted by Eddie's Taxidermy in San Antonio, and I think they did one hell of a job. And as luck would have it, I was able to have him unofficially scored by Dean Heffner, our fishing guide we recently hired over spring break. The old 12-pointer grossed 165 1/4 inches B&C, which dwarfs anything else I've shot. He's the biggest whitetail I'll ever take, that's for sure. But more than the score, I enjoy looking at that big drop tine, the other tine tips chipped from fighting, and the gray, grizzled muzzle -- evidence of a life boldly lived.

2 comments: