Sunday, October 30, 2011

Guest Post: My First Pheasant

I had been pheasant hunting several times before, all being unsuccessful. But then my dad and I got an offer for a youth pheasant hunt on a game preserve near Lawrence. I had been looking forward to it for quite a while. Finally though, the time came. We drove down there, met the other two kids, and then got ready for a round of warm-up trap. I am proud to say I only missed one. (Several of my shots were from port arms, too.)




After that, we started walking through some milo, and a few birds got up. However, I didn’t have good shots on them. Sometime near the end, on the very last milo strip, a perfect bird got up, moving slowly into the wind. I shouldered my gun and brought that bird to the ground. Later, I cleaned the bird all by myself. In fact, it is on the smoker right now for dinner tonight. I had a super amount of fun and hope to do it again, this time a wild bird over one of my own dogs.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Jack! It gets better every time, every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out, Scampwalker, it looks like your replacement Blogger is online now! What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, Jack! We enjoyed your post. Good hunting and good writing!

    GB & RD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Jack! Congratulations. First pheasant and first blog post all in one week. Slow down. You're making your uncle feel old.

    And just a little bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Jack! Nice writing and nice shooting. It's great to see young people like yourself getting an introduction to hunting.

    ReplyDelete