Friday, February 12, 2010

Road Photo Friday: Laissez Bon Temps Roulez!!

In honor of Mardi Gras, I bring you this heartwarming photo of a Bourbon Street gutter, adorned in human detritus and debris accumulated from the previous evening's festivities. Taken early one morning almost exactly five years ago, the image still summons that watery, woozy, pre-vomit feeling that I was experiencing at the time I snapped the shot. It was back in 2006, the first Mardi Gras after Hurricane Katrina. I was there as a guest of RK, who was honored with playing one of the local Krewes.  The city then was down, but not out. Today, it's still not what it once was, but thanks in part to the Saints, the town once again has a swagger and a spring in its step. As it should be... while some like the ersatz glitter of Las Vegas, I've always preferred the gritty, grimy, fun-loving, and storied charm of the Big Easy. Welcome back, New Orleans.  Let the good times roll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment