Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Night With Trent & Perry

I did something I wouldn't normally do last night. A good buddy and I went to the Jane's Addiction/Nine Inch Nails Show at Starlight. I think I've heard one or two NIN songs in my life -- but even so, it was a blast. There was no opening act -- kind of refreshing. The Nails just got on stage and started doing it. They were a lot of fun, although they did seem to fiddle a lot with drum machines, synthesizers, etc. In my book, that's a no-no. Show your chops, not your programming skills. Trent Reznor looked muscle-bound and pissed, as you'd expect.
But on this dank and dark night, Jane's Addiction stole the show. Maybe it was something about Perry Farrel's gold lamé jumpsuit and natty neckerchief, but they rocked -- especially for guys near or past the half-century mark.
I can't let the occasion slip without a comment about the crowd. Virtually everyone around me had earplugs in. Since when did the headbangers from Raytown start caring about their hearing? Probably something that I should have thought of 25 years ago. But if you're going to spend upwards of $50 for a ticket, why would you wear earplugs? Kids these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment